FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Login Login

Brown Gunk On Iron

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Refer a friend to this Page   Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
pmj View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote pmj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brown Gunk On Iron
    Posted: Oct/08/2008 at 12:31am
I am in desperate need of some help.  I have brown gunk on my iron.  This is the second iron I have purchased, because I tried using steel wool (brillo pad) to get it off.  Didn't work.  Got new iron.  Got new brown stuff.  I need to iron my white shirts for work everyday, I've been trying to get away with the-pull out of drier and hang up-it's not cutting it.  When I use the iron I get brown nasty stuff on my shirts.  Does anyone know how to remove this.  What causes it?

Thanks Smile
Shelley263 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Assistant Moderator

Quote Shelley263 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2008 at 12:41am

How to Clean an Iron - Steam Irons

While the iron is a common household tool, very few people actually understand how to clean an iron properly. Remember to wait until the iron is cool before you begin the cleaning process. Cleaning a hot iron is not only dangerous to you, it is also ineffective. Here are a few tips that might help you learn how clean your steam iron.

• If the substance stuck on the bottom of the iron is waxy, you should turn the iron onto its highest setting and run it across newspaper until the residue disappears.

• If the substance is oily, then just wet a rag with ammonia. Next, just rinse the iron off with some water and the gunk should be gone.

• Vinegar works as a cleaning agent for many irons. Pour some on a clean cloth, and wipe the surface of an iron throughly. If that doesn't work, combine vinegar with baking soda. With a soft cloth, scrub the surface of the iron.

• You can get rid of any build-up in the vents of the iron by taking a cotton swab or a pipe cleaner and gently sweeping the residue out of the area. If you attempt to use something of a harsher nature, like a tool or a knife, you could scratch the base of the iron, causing future problems.

• To clean the reservoir of your iron, pour a solution that is one part vinegar to one part water in. Turn the iron on. Allow it to steam for about four minutes. Drain the iron for an hour, and be sure to repeat the process with clean water before you iron any clothing items.

One of the best ways to learn how to clean an iron is to prevent build-up problems in the first place. Read your manufacturer's instruction manual carefully. It should contain a number of tips to not only prevent the steam vents from clogging, but also to prevent materials from building up on the base of your iron. Maintaining a clean iron can make the process of ironing clothes move quicker and smoother.

diddy911 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Senior Moderator

Quote diddy911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2008 at 12:48am
is it sticky brown stuff? If it is it could be caused from the iron being to hot while ironing synthetic fiber clothing.

try turning the heat down from now on when ironing those fabrics and see if that helps, but to clean it i'd try nail polish remover.
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
alexandrea View Drop Down

Quote alexandrea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2008 at 10:06pm
mine has done this and i just got a damp dish towel and ironed over the wet towel.  This always seems to clean mine off.
bigKCfan View Drop Down

Quote bigKCfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2008 at 2:40pm
try rubbing salt on it with a damp cloth.
In the end, it is important to remember that we cannot become what we need to be by remaining what we are."
                    Max Dupree
trista17pluto View Drop Down

Quote trista17pluto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2008 at 10:48am
You could try ironing a dryer sheet. I do that when I get things stuck on mine. You should also use distilled water, not tap.
Issues are like pocket lint, everyone carries some.
    ~S Squarciafico
 Post Reply Post Reply